Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ubuntu 11.04

So, I just downloaded Ubuntu 11.04 onto my laptop, and it can now boot either ubuntu or windows. For those of you unfamiliar, Ubuntu is an operating system, like windows 7 or mac. But its open source and free.
Now, then new version of ubuntu sports a new layout. The main way you now navigate is a menu bar on the left side, preset with a few programs like firefox and empathy messenger which can link multiple messenger accounts. I feel its a major improvement and a lot more user friendly. The top left button on this menu lets you go into all your programs, and lets you search for them. A huge improvement over the old way of going to the programs in previous versions in which each one was seperated into difference subjects and submenus.
A huge shocker for me was the fact that it downloaded a linux version of ATI catalyst, a driver and program to better control my graphics on the laptop. Pretty impressive as other versions didnt have this. I was instantly impressed.
Ubuntu 11.04 looks nicer too. It kind of competes with windows, even coming with a free office pack from an open source company. I honestly really like this version. It seems they are looking to compete with android.

No comments:

Post a Comment